ABOUT US | FAQ
WELCOME TO STANFORD PAINTING, INC.
Stanford Painting was established in 1988 with the goal of providing high quality residential and commercial painting services at reasonable prices. Our many hundreds of loyal, satisfied customers attest to our success in achieving that goal.
We are full service, including both exteriors and interiors. Every job, large or small, receives the same high level of attention and professional service. The keys to our success include:
- Quality Paints and Materials: We use only high quality paints and materials.
- Experienced Crews: Our highly capable crews have more than 850 years of cumulative experience, covering all aspects of painting, from preparation to finishing, and some have been part of the Stanford Painting family for over 25 years.
- Current Equipment and Techniques: Our equipment is current and kept in top condition. Our techniques are contemporary with a focus on safety, including proper removal of lead paint, dust control, maintaining a clean site, and complete inspection of all work. We are fully compliant with all local and state regulations.
- Great Customer Service: From initial customer consultation to post-job inspection, we are on the job from start to finish, with exceptional customer service including immediate response to any questions or concerns. This begins at the top with our hands-on management team.
- 5 Year Warranty: All of our painting services are backed by a 5 year warranty.
- Licensed, Insured, Bonded: Stanford Painting a fully licensed, insured, and bonded, with $2M in general liability insurance and Worker’s Compensation coverage.
Stanford Painting is a local, family-owned business with strong ties to the community. We contribute to the community by providing no-cost services for the elderly, disabled or others in need (please inquire). We also sponsor / contribute to community organizations including:
- Palo Alto Little League
- Palo Alto Girls’ Softball
- The Palo Alto May Fete Parade
- The East Palo Alto Ecumenical Hunger Program
- The Gunn High School Sports Booster Club
- The Greenmeadow Community Scholarship Fund
- Junior Achievement of Santa Clara County.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Painting your home or commercial building is a significant investment that requires an informed decision.
The following are answers to frequently asked questions. If your question is not on the list that follows, give us a call, we are happy to provide the information you need to inform your decision.
- All paint manufacturers require two thin coats vs. one thick coat to obtain their warranty. One coat coverage requires the paint film be applied at an inappropriate thickness, which leads to premature cracking and peeling.
- Full prep/two coats lasts 8 – 12 years
- Minimal prep/one coat lasts 1 – 2 years
- Stanford Painting full-time employees (we don’t sub-contract). We provide a uniformed crew and a foreman on site at all times (minimum 5 years working with Stanford Painting). A supervisor visits the site every day (you have his car phone number for easy access).
- Our work is guaranteed for five full years. This covers any cracking, peeling, flaking, or bubbling of the paint film. Please read the written guarantee on the back of the painting estimate.
Not all paint jobs are alike! Our goal at Stanford Painting is to provide value. Consider this:
- Stanford Painting (excellent prep and 2 coats): $6000/lasts 8 – 12 years = $600 per year maintenance
- Them (minimal prep and 1 coat): $4000/lasts 1 – 2 years = $2,000+ per year!! Look for value … that is the key measure of pricing.
- No. We will perform all work as specified in the contract for the contract price. Of course, you may add extra work for an additional charge that is agreed on up front.
- No. We stay on your project start to finish, Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Yes. Our California state license number is 602048. We carry worker’s compensation insurance and $2 million general liability insurance.
- Yes. Included with the painting proposal will be an extensive list of names/addresses/phone numbers.
- Yes. We provide a professional color consultation at no charge to all of our clients.
- No. Our trustworthy staff is fully bonded and insured. At the times you will be gone from the house, we will need to arrange access to facilitate the painting process.
- We will use extreme care to tie back and/or cover your plants to avoid damage during the painting process. Any help from the homeowner to trim back plants and trees will help facilitate a thorough and timely painting project.
- While painting is a significant process for your home, we will do all we can to minimize noise, dust, and disruption. Our daily clean-ups go a long way to achieve this goal.
- Stanford Painting takes pride in timely and thorough responses to any problems that may arise during the warranty period. Period.
- If your house was built before 1978, it may contain lead paint. Stanford Painting is a Lead-Safe Certified company and has a great deal of experience handling lead paint-related painting project. We highly recommend you follow the steps below if you are concerned about lead safety:
- If your home was built before 1978, be sure to test for lead paint. Call the National Lead Information Center for more information at 800-424-5323.
- Whether you use Stanford Painting or another contractor, hire only licensed contractors.
- To check a contractor’s license, call the Contractor’s State Board at 800-321-2752.
- Hire a contractor who is certified to perform lead-related construction jobs. To verify certification call 800-597-LEAD.
- Make sure the contractors has workers’ compensation and liability insurance.
- Ask the contractor about his or her worker health and safety program for controlling lead exposure.
- Ask the contractor if the safest feasible work methods are being used, and what special precautions he or she will take to control your exposure.
- Keep your children and pets away from work areas.
- Understand lead safety procedures. In our case, ask to see our Lead Compliance Program. If you notice procedures are not being followed, contact a supervisor. If we are painting your home, call 650-321-9302 with any questions or concerns.
- 10% down payment on signing the contract and the balance due upon completion and inspection.
Jay Furlong | Owner/Estimator
Jay Furlong graduated from Stanford University in 1985. Shortly after graduating, Jay founded Stanford Painting in 1988, and the company has been professionally painting houses in the Bay Area ever since. Throughout the 30+ years that Stanford Painting has been in business, the company has painted thousands of residential houses all over the Peninsula and Bay Area. Jay has over 30 years of painting experience, and is proud to say that some of his foremen have been with he company for over 20 years! Jay began on the job sites himself, and has a vast amount of knowledge about all aspects of the painting industry, and is a wonderful resource for both his workers and clients. When he isn’t working, he looks forward to spending time with his three daughters, going camping, running in the Foothills and going to Crossfit!
Frank | General Manager/Estimator
Frank was born on a ranch here in the Bay Area in 1966, down in San Jose. He attended Gunn Senior High School and graduated from Mountain View High School, and has lived in the Bay Area ever since. Frank started in the painting business in 1985, carrying over 30 years of professional painting experience. He got started in the industry sand blasting, and has transitioned that expertise into all types of residential and commercial job experience. Specifically, Frank is an expert in all things residential, both interior and exterior, as well as Commercial and Industrial painting. He has been an estimator with the company as a project manager and estimator since 1997 – there is almost nothing we can’t paint! When he isn’t supervising our crews, Frank enjoys spending time in the outdoors!
Casey Furlong | Operations Manager
Casey was born and raised in Palo Alto and is the eldest of three sisters. After graduating from Palo Alto High School, she went on to pursue her degree at Sacramento State University. Since earning her Bachelor’s degree, she decided to join the family business as Stanford Painting’s office manager. Casey truly enjoys engaging with clients and has a knack for reliable and communicative customer service. Some of her passions outside of the office include CrossFit, learning American Sign Language and gardening.
Chris | Supervisor
Chris is a native Californian and was born and raised in East Palo Alto. After graduating high school, he decided to pursue a higher education and is currently studying for a Business Administration degree at San Francisco State University and is a new member of Stanford Painting management. Chris oversees crews and their operations during the work week but during his downtime, he enjoys playing volleyball, traveling and cooking.
Santos | Supervisor
Santos was born and raised in Yucatán, Mexico and relocated to the Bay Area when he was 11 years old. After spending many years in San Francisco, he moved to East Palo Alto where he began to start a family. He has now been married to his wife for 15 years and they have two children together. Santos began as a painter with Stanford Painting and over the years has worked his way up to a field superintendent. When he is off the clock, he enjoys going to the movies, listening to music and watching soccer and baseball games.
Armando | Foreman
Armando has been with Stanford Painting for quite some time and our team is very lucky to have a leader like him. Aside from his fantastic leadership skills, Armando has one of the warmest energies and exudes it on each job site he oversees. After being with us for 7 years, Armando worked his way up to foreman and has been with us for a total of 23 years. Guadalajara is his hometown and he has been married for 11 years with two small children. During his well-deserved downtime, he prefers to go camping, play soccer and spend time with his family.
Ricardo | Foreman
Ricardo is a skilled painter and brings his positive attitude to every project site. He is focused on the quality of the work that we deliver to our clients and continues to prove why he was able to work his way up to the foreman position in such a short amount of time. He became a member of the Stanford Painting team 17 years ago right after he moved to the area from Michoacán and we are very grateful to have him on our team! When he isn’t overseeing his crew, he enjoys playing soccer and video games.
Ruben | Foreman
Ruben has been a member of Stanford Painting’s team for a total of 22 years and through his quick learning and attention to detail, he has been a foreman for 21 and a half of those years! Ruben’s punctuality, dedication and ability to help our company continue to grow are just some of the reasons as to why he is a vital part of Stanford Painting’s success. Although he is originally from Guadalajara, he has put down his roots here in California, along with his wife of 20 years and their two children. As for his free time, his favorite sport to watch and play is soccer!
Juan | Foreman
Juan has been with Stanford Painting for 26 years and has worked his way up to his current position as foreman through his high level of expertise, knowledge and reliability. Since moving to California from Michoacán in the early 1990’s, Juan has proven time and time again that he is a natural born leader within our company. Juan has been happily married for 5 years and has two young children. Outside of work, he enjoys playing soccer and spending time with his kids!